Saturday, May 03, 2008

Found In China



We picked up a great DVD last week called Found In China. It is a documentary that follows a group of 9 to 13 year old girls as they travel back to China on homeland heritage tours. The DVD starts with the girls and their families touring the Great Wall and doing other tourist things. The documentary goes on to follow the girls as they visit the orphanages where they spent the first months of their lives. Some of the girls are able to meet their caregivers and others are able to meet the person who found them. Other girls travel to their finding locations. It is very emotional to watch these girls travel back to their beginnings. Jen and I watched the whole video with lumps in our throats.

The video is interspersed with interviews with the girls, their parents, sociologists and adult Korean adoptees. They explore the emotions involved with adoptees figuring out who they are. Also discussed in the documentary is the possibility of our daughters someday finding their birth parents.

We really enjoyed this video and think it will be a good tool to use someday to prepare Grace when we take her on a homeland heritage tour.

3 comments:

Norma said...

I just took my 12 year old back for the first time. You may want to check out our blog. I am enjoying waiting with you and will follow your trip. God Bless.
Norma

Two Pearls said...

Wow...that sounds like a great resource. We also have the National Geo DVD with Lisa Ling. It made me cry every time I watched it during the wait. I'll have to grab a copy of this!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your recommendation of my documentary, "Found in China." I hope many will find it useful as their adopted children want to know more about their backgrounds and their homeland. My best to you and your beautiful family!

Carolyn/filmmaker